Stats and Facts for Boomers
Did you know:
- 10,000 Baby boomers will celebrate their 60th birthday every day for the next 18 years?
- The number of people in the US aged 65 and older grew from 29.6 million in 1990 to 38.8 million in 2020?
- 31.5% of the 45 – 65 year old segment – baby boomers representing the largest demographic block in the history of the United States are entering retirement?
- In 2030, 72 million Americans will be 65 or over, representing 20 of the population?
- Aging Seniors are projected to move out of an estimated 11.3 million housing units between 2010 and 2020?
- Between 2020 and 2030, that figure is expected to climb closer to 15 million?
- In 2014, 25% of sellers were over 65 and 7% were over 75.
- The average age of a home seller is on the rise – up from 46 in 2009 to 53 in 2013.
- Among homebuyers over 50, 14% purchased a home in an active adult community or some form of senior-related housing.
- Prices for homes in 55+ communities rebounded from the recession much faster thatn the rest of the housing market
- At least 70% of people over the age of 65 will require some amount of long term care, with more than 40% needing care in a nursing home.
- Demand for assisted living communities will inevitably increase as adult children age and need help caring for their senior parents.
- Team Legg can help you find a home outside of San Diego should you decide to downsize to another state?
Age Wave, 2010 US Census Bureau Report, Bipartisan Policy Center; National Association of Realtors Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers 2013; US Department of Human Services, 2010; National Association of Home Builders and the MetLife Mature Market Institute, 2011; US Government Accountability Office; Art Carr, Progressive Retirement Lifestyles, 2011